Thursday, September 9, 2010

bookbinding with shedded snake skin

I have been collecting shedded snake skins for years on my family's farm in Kentucky. I recently tried binding with one. I have always been hesitant as to how it would work as the shedded skin is so delicate. I cut a piece of the snake skin at the fattest part and flattened it out. I cut the same size piece of kozo shi japanese tissue. I used PVA and glued the kozo shi; then laid the snake skin on it,,worked it with a bone folder; then put it in the nipping press for ten minutes. It adhered perfectly. I then proceeded to try it on a small binding. It worked perfectly, adhering to the board and successfully made a nice little binding out of it. The snake skin darkened when lined with the tissue giving it a beautiful color and texture. Give it a try some time! But only use shedded skin... don't kill a snake to make a book! http:// www.book-restoration.com

No comments:

Post a Comment